Thursday, December 5, 2013

I want to be a futurist. I found out how.

I have decided that I want to be a futurist. I told someone at work this and they said I would have to quit being a pessimist. I told them I did not think so. I know the world is going to end. I just don’t know when. I think that is the very definition of a pessimistic futurist.

You can find out how to do anything by googleing it.  I googled  "How does one become a futurist"   It led me to a great article on www.futurist.com web site.   You can read the article here.  According to the article there are three ways one can become a futurist. First is the informal or self-taught way taken by most people.  You read a little.  You think a little and then you start calling yourself a futurist.  The second path is through formal education.  There are universities that offer classes in future studies. The third path is to become the student of a current futurist and have them mentor you.

I am going to take the first path.  It seems the easiest.   As a matter of fact, I think I am already a futurist so I will be calling myself that from now on.

Also, if you are real serious about becoming a futurist, you should join the World Future Society.   I joined today.


This is going to be so much fun and I am going to be so good at this.  Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I also strongly recommend the certificate in Strategic Foresight from the University of Houston. It's a one week intensive and you have to complete a capstone project.

    ReplyDelete