Monday, December 16, 2013

There is nothing like the sleep of a satisfied man

There needs to be a good reason you do what you do.   I have been thinking about this a lot lately.   2013 has been quite a year for me but that is another story for later.   I have decided that 2014 is going to be one of the best years of my life.  I HAVE DECIDED.

I recently read an article on the growingleaders.com web site about helping young people just starting out find the right (career) ladder to climb.   You should read the article and you definitely need to watch the Stephen Kellogg Ted video that is referenced in the article.  As a matter of fact, I don’t really care if you read the article, just watch the video. 
The second best quote from the article is this “It’s better to be at the bottom of a ladder you want to climb, than the top of a ladder you don’t.”   As a leader (and hopefully a mentor to some) it is my job to help others make sure they are on the right ladder.  That’s not always easy.   My own self-interest sometimes gets in the way.   Hopefully, at the end of my career (life) I will be able to look back on those that I have crossed paths with and be able to say that I helped in some small way. 

Here is a summary from the article on how to choose your ladder:
When passion, need, strength and opportunity all meet – you are on a good ladder:

1.       Passion – the work represents something you love doing.

2.       Need – the work you do answers a “cry” and solves a problem.

3.       Strength – the work you do involves you using your primary strength.

4.       Opportunity – the work you do isn’t forced but is a prospect in front of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment