David Brooks, Edmund Burke, my politically mismatched family, and why left versus right doesn’t tell the whole story
For several years, when someone has told me they are a conservative, I have sometimes responded with a question:
“What kind of conservative? Reagan/Goldwater conservative or MAGA conservative?”
I ask because those seem like very different things to me.
I have always thought of the Reagan/Goldwater tradition as emphasizing limited government, individual liberty, free enterprise, personal responsibility, constitutional government and a strong national defense. MAGA conservatism seems different—more populist, more distrustful of institutions and elites, more nationalistic, and much more willing to disrupt the existing order.
Recently, however, I listened to a conversation with David Brooks at Harvard that made me wonder whether I have been asking the wrong—or at least an incomplete—question.
Brooks talked about Edmund Burke.
And Burke gave me another way of thinking about conservatism.
What exactly are conservatives trying to conserve?
Burke's conservatism was not primarily a checklist of policy positions. It was a way of thinking about society and change.
Human institutions are imperfect because human beings are imperfect. But institutions that have developed over generations often contain wisdom and experience that we don't completely understand. Therefore, when something isn't working, the conservative impulse should generally be to understand it, preserve what is valuable, and carefully reform what is broken.
That doesn't mean resisting all change.
Quite the opposite. Institutions sometimes have to change in order to survive.
But Burke was deeply suspicious of the idea that we can tear down complicated social institutions and simply design better ones from scratch.
Brooks described his own conservatism in similar terms. He distinguished the conservatism he grew up with—a conservatism based on affection for American traditions and institutions—from a conservatism increasingly organized around opposition to the left.
That distinction got my attention.
Maybe the question isn't simply whether someone is conservative.
Maybe the better question is:
When you say you're conservative, what exactly is it that you want to conserve?
Then I started thinking about people I know
That's when my neat political categories started falling apart.
I have a good friend who considers himself both a Christian and a conservative. He is an elder in a Southern Baptist church.
If you stopped there, you might think you knew quite a bit about his politics.
Except his family is deeply invested in public education. He, his wife, his three children and two of their spouses have connections to public education. His church's associate pastor, who handles the church's business affairs, also serves as mayor of the town and is known as a builder rather than a divider.
My friend has told me that their loyalty to public education and the civic involvement of church leaders have contributed to their church being regarded as relatively “liberal” within their Southern Baptist surroundings.
I find that fascinating.
What is particularly liberal about supporting the school that educates your community's children? What is unconservative about a pastor serving his community as a mayor who tries to bring people together?
Through a Burkean lens, those things look surprisingly conservative.
Church. Family. School. Local government. Community.
These are the institutions that hold a society together.
Then there are my children
My daughter has been a public-school educator for 20 years and teaches social studies and psychology.
If you asked her, she would probably call herself a liberal. Socially, she certainly is.
But when I look beyond particular social issues, I see something different. She believes in institutions. She works within them. She believes public schools are worth improving rather than abandoning. Her instincts about government and society are often much more reformist than revolutionary.
In that sense, my liberal daughter may have a surprisingly Burkean political temperament.
My son is almost the mirror image.
Politically, he is far to her left. He is anti-capitalist, socialist and perhaps even somewhat anarchist in temperament. He is strongly environmentalist.
His inclination toward institutions he believes are fundamentally unjust is not to preserve them.
It's closer to:
Burn it down and build something better.
Then there is my older sister.
She is on almost the opposite end of the conventional political spectrum from my son. She is firmly MAGA in political outlook, although, interestingly, she despises Donald Trump personally.
Her instinct toward institutions she believes have become corrupt is also:
Burn it down.
And that's when something clicked for me.
My socialist son and my MAGA sister would probably disagree about almost everything concerning what a better society should look like.
But they may agree about something deeper:
The existing system is so fundamentally broken that incremental reform isn't enough.
Different diagnosis.
Different villains.
Very different destination.
But a surprisingly similar attitude toward the existing order.
Meanwhile, my socially liberal daughter and my conservative Baptist friend might disagree about plenty of policy questions while sharing another instinct:
Our institutions are imperfect, but they are valuable. Work within them. Fix what is broken. Preserve what works.
Our traditional political spectrum doesn't capture that.
Maybe politics needs two axes
We usually imagine politics as a single line:
Left ←————————————→ Right
That tells us something important.
It tells us something about what kind of society a person wants.
But perhaps we need another axis:
Preserve & Reform
↑
│
│
↓
Disrupt & Replace
That produces four very different political temperaments:
| Left / Progressive | Right / Conservative | |
|---|---|---|
| Preserve & Reform | Progressive Reformers | Burkean Conservatives |
| Disrupt & Replace | Left Radicals | Right Populists |
Suddenly some of the strange alliances and divisions in American politics make more sense.
People can disagree about where society should go while agreeing about how democratic change should occur.
And people can vote for the same candidates while possessing fundamentally different ideas about institutions, restraint, compromise and political power.
Perhaps we have been paying too much attention to the horizontal axis and not nearly enough to the vertical one.
Where does that leave me?
I describe myself as a right-leaning moderate and an independent.
But even that description doesn't tell you very much.
I am pro-environment, although I'll admit that my commitment hasn't required a great deal of personal sacrifice.
I consider myself pro-life, but I also believe another person's choice is largely none of my business.
I believe we have a responsibility to support and nourish our neighbors.
I believe there is far too much money in American politics and that money inevitably creates opportunities for corruption. I think meaningful campaign-finance reform would be a good place to begin addressing that problem.
I love and support my gay and lesbian friends and would welcome them in my church. At the same time, I remain uncomfortable with same-sex marriage being performed in my church. I would have no problem with my pastor choosing to officiate a civil union outside the church.
You may agree with those positions.
You may disagree with every one of them.
That's almost beside the point.
What I've realized while thinking through all of this is that there is another principle underneath them.
I can have convictions about how I should live without believing everyone else must be required to live according to all of my convictions.
That's pluralism.
And perhaps pluralism deserves its own place in our understanding of political temperament.
Which brings me to Christianity
This becomes particularly important because of the growing discussion of Christian nationalism.
I am a Christian. My faith inevitably influences the way I think about politics, morality and my obligations to other people.
I don't know how it couldn't.
But there is an important distinction between saying:
“My Christianity should shape the way I participate in society.”
and saying:
“Political power should be used to make society conform to my Christianity.”
Those aren't the same thing.
This is where Brooks's larger argument became particularly meaningful to me.
He argues that healthy societies are repaired in roughly this order:
Cultural → Civic → Political.
In other words, politicians usually don't create the moral vision that repairs a society. Culture changes first. People develop different ways of living. Communities and civic institutions embody those values. Politics eventually follows.
That suggests a very different role for Christianity than simply capturing political power.
The church forms people.
Those people become parents, teachers, business owners, volunteers, neighbors, mayors and voters.
Their faith influences the way they treat other people and the institutions they serve.
Christianity changes society because Christians live differently within society—not merely because Christians gain enough votes to control it.
That distinction seems especially important right now.
Burke versus “burn it down”
None of this means Burke was always right.
“Preserve and reform” can become an excuse for tolerating injustice.
There are institutions that should have been destroyed. American slavery is the most obvious example. There are moments when incremental reform is morally inadequate.
And populists are sometimes right about institutional failure.
Universities can become insulated.
Government agencies can become bureaucratic and unaccountable.
Corporations can abuse power.
Political systems can become corrupted by money.
Experts can become arrogant.
Public institutions can lose the trust of the people they are supposed to serve.
The Burkean response cannot simply be:
Trust the institution.
Institutions have to earn and maintain trust.
But the opposite response—destroy institutions because they have disappointed us—carries its own enormous danger.
The question becomes one of judgment:
Is this institution fundamentally illegitimate, or is it an imperfect institution worth repairing?
That may be one of the most important political questions of our time.
Maybe I've been asking the wrong question
So I think I am going to retire—or at least modify—my old question.
When someone tells me they're conservative, instead of immediately asking whether they're a Reagan/Goldwater conservative or a MAGA conservative, I might ask:
“What do you think conservatives should conserve?”
And maybe I'll follow it with another:
“When an institution you care about is failing, do you want to repair it or replace it?”
But those questions shouldn't only be asked of conservatives.
I should ask my liberal friends the same thing.
And my socialist friends.
And myself.
Because perhaps understanding someone's politics requires at least three questions:
What kind of society do you want?
How do you believe we should get there?
And how much room are you willing to leave for your neighbor to disagree with you?
The first question helps locate us somewhere between left and right.
The second tells us whether our instinct is to preserve and reform or disrupt and replace.
But increasingly, I think the third may be the most important.
Because a functioning democracy doesn't require us to agree.
It requires us to live together when we don't.
And perhaps the most important thing worth conserving is our ability to do exactly that.
(Part 1/2) Awesome post Steve. While I have largely abandoned any serious interest in politics, your thoughts (and the thoughts of your friends and family) resonate well with my views on society. I consider myself a conservative, and I would like to answer your question regarding what I think we should conserve. So here goes...
ReplyDeleteWestern society was principally founded upon Abrahamic, more specifically, Judeo-Christian values. These values can be summed up by the virtues of prudence, propriety, self-command, integrity, and self-sacrificial benevolence. Those traits specifically are what need to be conserved. If they are not conserved, what fills the void? Bending to whimsy, self-righteousness, avarice, and megalomania?
If we look closely at our society, we can see the areas in which we have come unmoored from foundational values, the outcomes that are being played out, and in some regards how politicians respond. Let me pick the topic which may get me in the hottest water: the interplay between women and society in general.
Biologically, women are truly set apart. In general terms they are literally created for sacrifice in order to further the species. This is exemplified by their bodies operating at or beyond metabolic capacity while supporting a growing fetus. Post-partum, human offspring are nutrition-dependent until around the age of 15 (although modernity and urbanization has certainly lowered this). The human mother is built as the vessel to sustain life for a decade and a half, and that call is purely sacrificial. Christ made the ultimate sacrifice, but motherhood is certainly in the conversation for second place.
In addition, women are generally more risk-avoidant, rarely aggressive, and incredibly nurturing. These traits combined with their maternal sacrifice places them at a supreme disadvantage to men in a number of areas of life, but perhaps most relatable is within the labor economy. The hyper-growth period for careers overlays nearly perfectly with the period of fertility. Women have proven for decades to under-sell themselves to secure employment (as an aside: this is an outcome which is perpetuated by employers not posting reliable salary brackets for a job). Women do not promote as quickly due to lack of aggression, and are too eager to appease with low expectations of reciprocation.
Now here is where it gets interesting...how did we attempt to fix these issues socio-politically, and what were the consequences? The women's sexual liberation movement sought to remove some of these hurdles. First the movement sought to lower the explicit sacrificial cost of casual sexual encounters, of which men carry little to no burden. This was done through mass-contraceptive use, legalized abortion, and the promotion of sexual liberation. ALL three of those happened within very close proximity to each other in terms of history. The result? Certainly, the sacrificial costs plummeted down to a seemingly unavoidable social cost, which men also do not bear. However, there were other results...the sexual/transactional nature of romantic relationships took its root. Since the cost of sex was now much lower, the expectations, the courting game, and the rules changed. Pre-marital sex quickly became an expectation and certainly became a competitive attribute.
And so, hyper-sexualization as a mating tactic arose and has now morphed into the commoditization of the female form: marketing campaigns, extreme/violent pornography, social media stardom, fembots, etc. all of which women must compete with. So, we traded high sexual cost for liberation and its malevolent side effects (which were amplified by other outputs of capitalism: digital isolation, and the dissolution of shared norms) that threaten humanity itself via serial cohabitation resulting in low life satisfaction and low sexual satisfaction, involuntary celibacy in males (which is frequently tied to mass-shootings and other violent acts), and record infertility rates.
(Part 2/2) Maybe the best example of these maladies materializing en masse is the proliferation of OnlyFans which generated $6.6B in subscriptions in 2023, 70% of which was from sexually explicit material. This equates to millions of explicit content creators creating material for hundreds of millions of users. There is a mountain range of evidence on the impact sexually explicit and pornographic material has on consumers. Common side effects include, depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, distorted perceptions of reality, emotional distress and trouble managing emotions, pre-frontal cortex dysfunction resulting in lesser levels of impulse control, strained relationships, loneliness, social isolation, decreased sexual satisfaction, decreased sexual function, and financial stress just to name a few.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, who was ultimately "rewarded" for this endeavor? It seems men who had interest in serial sexual encounters with low social cost and the hyper sexualization of society stood to gain the most. Just something to think about before we label the women's sexual liberation movement as something that was a virtuous attempt at promoting femininity.
As for leveling the economic competitive hurdle...these problems persist likely because the causal traits are biological and psychological, which is nearly impossible to legislate for (not that we would actually want to entrust politicians with legislating on the basis of biology and psychology).
What was labeled as women's sexual liberation seems to have violated some natural order. We didn't act prudently (with discernment and wisdom), we acted in opposition of traditional propriety (what is proper), self-sacrifice was not the objective but was rather something being escaped from, which in and of itself is a disregard for self-command. So, I suppose I am a conservative because I strongly favor conserving these values that keep our society from destroying itself.
To close, pick any social malady and you can likely trace its birth and persistence back to the combination of two things: immorality and the wonderful engine of capitalism. Capitalism has a way of giving us exactly what we ask for and magnifying it exponentially. The problem is, I am afraid we are too flawed to be entrusted with such a wonderful tool. In his work Phaedrus, Plato wrote of the charioteer who was tasked with piloting a chariot driven by a white horse and a dark horse. The white horse is representative of wisdom, reason, virtue, and command, whereas the dark horse is representative of power, influence, drive and passion. To pilot this chariot we need the engine of the dark horse, but we also need the discernment of the white horse. If we fail to provide autonomy and voice to the white horse, the dark horse will certainly take us for one hell of a ride. In the same way, if the approbation of society degrades to "you do you" or "do what makes you happy" we will be carried off by our own whims.
Ethan, this is exactly the kind of response I hoped this post might generate. Thanks for taking the time to think about it and respond.
DeleteI think your first paragraph may tell me more about what you mean when you call yourself a conservative than most political conversations we have ever had. And I don't have much disagreement with your list of things worth conserving — prudence, propriety, self-command, integrity and self-sacrificial benevolence.
I also really like your point about capitalism. It is an incredibly powerful engine, but it doesn't make much distinction between what we want and what is actually good for us. Your Plato analogy captures that pretty well.
Where your response takes me next is back to the last two questions in my post. Assuming we agree that these virtues are worth conserving, how should society conserve them, and how much room do we leave for our neighbor who doesn't share our definition of them?
What belongs to the family? The church? The school? Community expectations? And ultimately, what belongs to government?
I suspect you and I probably agree on considerably more about what a healthy society looks like than either of us realized. Where we may find some differences is in how we think we get there and how much we are willing to use political power to do it.
And maybe that's exactly the point I was trying to get to with the original post. Calling you a conservative and me a tree-hugging liberal really doesn't tell us very much. 🙂
Thanks again. You gave me a lot more to think about.