Tuesday, April 23, 2019

I just had a thought

I was in the usual place taking a break.  As usual, I was running through all the apps (FaceBook, Twitter, Linkedin, CNN, Fox, etc).  Something must have caught my eye because this thought popped into my head.....

Some evangelical leaders like Franklin Graham have preached that Donald Trump is an imperfect man but that God is still using him.  The argument continues that Christians should look past Trump's imperfections since he was sent by God. 

The Bible has many stories of imperfect men and women being called upon by God.  The message is clear to me.  We are all sinners and that does not exclude us from being called upon to do His work.

I believe that.  It is possible that Donald Trump is God sent.

However, for me to believe that God could/would use Donald Trump, I also have to believe he could/would use Hilary Clinton, or Elizabeth Warren or Peter Buttigieg or Vladimir Putin. 

I also think it is dangerous for Christians to pontificate about what God's plans are and how he is using us sinners.  It sometimes sounds like we are trying to get God to fit into our own agenda. 

I was reminded at church last Sunday that our mission, as Christians, is to spread the Gospel to everyone we meet regardless of political party. 

No comments:

Post a Comment